Friday, October 28, 2011

Im Back

Hey everyone, after being away from the blog for a long time im back and intend to get back to regular posting. Part of the reason for not writing in so long is the fact that things got really slow in September, i only flew about 8 hours all month so really didn't have to much to write about. Since my last post i have now transferred bases and i am now based at DFW (Dallas Ft. Worth). For those that know me you know that i am now much closer to my home in Oklahoma. I know can jump on a flight and be to work in 45min instead of having to get on two different flights for about 5 and a half hours to get to Miami. The shorter commute allows me to "commute" the day of and gets me home the last day almost guaranteed. This means at least an extra night at home each time im off. The other nice thing is the fact that i can make it home just about any night i want if i start missing my own bed to much. This month i have been on S3 which if you remember is the "airport ready reserve" from 130PM to 930PM, however next month will be my first month holding a RAP line, which mean i will be able to get open trips the day before. Even though i've been on ready reserve this month i have flown a lot more than in Miami, im currently at about 25 hours for the month which while still far below what line holders fly its better than the 8-10 hours a month i've been averaging.

Besides having a much shorter commute i am also liking Dallas for several other reasons. The first is the fact that its sorta my "home" airport. Growing up as a kid it was always the airport my family would use whenever we traveled by air. I also visited it rather frequently to watch planes and take photos with my friend who was also an aviation nerd like myself. Since i've spent so much time here growing up i know the airport very well and the surrounding area. Also since i've spent almost my entire life growing up in Oklahoma/TX area i feel much more at home with the culture here, anyone who has spent time in Miami will know what im talking about here. I would say the only negative of my transfer would be our destinations, in Miami i flew to a lot of the Caribbean, out of DFW we fly to Lawton, Wichita Falls, Killeen, Waco, Long View, Tyler, San Angelo, College Station, Shreveport, Monroe, Ft Smith, and Joplin... Needless to say not the most interesting destinations in the world.

Looking forward to writing again and have several topics i'll be covering in the next few days so be looking for new posts.

1 comment: